HKUST-Exeter Engineering and Law Program


Collapse All
If I am interested in participating in this Engineering and Law Program, who should I talk to for planning my study in the first 3 years at HKUST? 

Participation in the program requires careful planning, ideally starting from year 1 of your studies. Each Department involved has designed a pathway for this Program. Please seek academic advice from your major Department.  

Do those credits that were transferred to HKUST upon my admission to HKUST count towards the 108 credits that I am expected to complete prior to attending the University of Exeter? 

All credits that have been successfully transferred to HKUST at the time of your admission to HKUST can count towards the 120-credit requirement of HKUST. Therefore, accordingly, these credits can also be counted towards the 108 credits that students are expected to have completed prior to attending the University of Exeter. However, please understand that 108 is not an absolute number that must be complied with. It’s only a mark for reference. The progress of each individual student also depends on the courses that have been completed, not only the number of credits. Students who participate in the Engineering and Law Program should be making satisfactory progress in their major program of study in terms of both credits earned and courses completed.  

I am in Chemical Engineering. Can I apply for this program? 

The program is primarily for students whose major programs have a corresponding counterpart at the University of Exeter. However, students from other engineering programs may also be considered as they are deemed to be capable of completing the Engineering and Law Program within the 5-year timeframe. Students should consult their major Department regarding the feasibility of participating in the Program.  

I am also interested in the dual degree program (T&M). Are the two programs mutually exclusive? 

Students in dual degree programs in BEng & BBA can also apply, but please take note of the engineering disciplines available at the University of Exeter. Not all engineering disciplines of HKUST have corresponding programs at the University of Exeter. Moreover, as the dual degree is already an intensive program involving 2 sets of curricula, please be sure to discuss your plan with your advisors in the dual degree programs.  

What is my status at the University of Exeter? 

During Year 4 and Year 5, students will register as a student in the University of Exeter Law degree program, though they do not pay tuition fee to the University of Exeter until Year 5.  

Can I withdraw from the Law Program after completing Year 4? 

It is a special accelerated pathway designed for students who plan to complete 2 degrees in 5 years. Students are expected to stay in the Program throughout the 5 years. However, if there are unforeseen circumstances under which students need to quit the Program after Year 4, they may apply for withdrawal, and may be able to graduate with the HKUST degree alone provided that all HKUST degree requirements are fulfilled.  

Can I take Common Core courses at the University of Exeter?

Yes, besides engineering and computer science courses, HKUST students can take courses in other areas at the University of Exeter in Year 4 which may be able to fulfil HKUST’s common core requirements. However, please note that enrolment is not guaranteed. There are also areas that are normally not available to non-major students, such as Psychology, Politics, Drama, English Literature, History, etc., Law courses other than those required for the law degree that a student registers for JD are also normally closed.  

Are courses and credits completed at the University of Exeter guaranteed for credit transfer to HKUST? 

Engineering and computer science courses indicated in each HKUST Engineering Department’s study pathway have been reviewed and pre-approved by the Department, and are thus guaranteed for credit transfer. All other courses are subject to the HKUST’s approval and will be assessed and approved in accordance with the University’s credit transfer policy.  

What is the class schedule of the Contract Law Course? 

In Fall term, the course will be conducted online with numerous asynchronous activities (including reading of course materials), plus certain scheduled real-time synchronous activities in the evening every week (amounting to around 10 hours for the entire course). Students who decide to enroll in the course are expected to participate in all the real-time synchronous activities.

How can I enrol in the contract law course? There is no such course on SIS or in our course catalogue! 

As the Contract Law course is a course of the University of Exeter, it does not appear in the HKUST Course Catalogue. The enrolment procedure is also different and will not be done via SIS. Please enter the enrolment system. The system usually opens in September.  

Can I still apply for the Engineering and Law Program even though I haven’t yet completed the Contract Law Course?

The Contract Law Course is a foundation course to law studies and is important in helping the University of Exeter to determine a student’s suitability for law studies. Therefore, a student is expected to complete it prior to applying for admission to the University of Exeter. For the same reason, students must complete the Contract Law Course by Fall term of Year 3 the latest since they must apply for admission to the University of Exeter during Year 3.

I am not a student in the School of Engineering. Can I still enrol in the Contract Law course? How can I use the credits earned from this course? 

The Contract Law Course is an arrangement specially made between the HKUST School of Engineering and the University of Exeter as part of this Engineering and Law Program. Therefore, enrolment priority is given to engineering students, especially those who are in Year 3 and have a clear interest in pursuing the Engineering and Law Program. If space allows, the School of Engineering will open up the spots to non-engineering students. Should non-engineering students manage to enrol in it, they should consult their major Departments at HKUST regarding the possible uses of such credits.  

If I am on leave in Year 2, can I still take the Contract Law course? 

In principle yes. But as explained above, priority will be given to those students who are in Year 3. Students who are on leave during year 2 of study will most likely be in Year 2 when they resume study in the next academic year.  

Besides IELTS, can I use other English qualification to fulfil the English Language admission requirements? 

Yes, the University of Exeter accepts TOEFL and some other English tests for admission. Please refer to the University of Exeter’s admission website.  

I have taken IELTS when I was admitted to HKUST. Can I use that score to fulfil the admission requirement of this Engineering and Law Program? 

English test scores all have a validity period. In the case of IELTS, test scores are valid only for 2 years. Therefore, the IELTS test that you took must be taken no more than 2 years prior to your application for the Program. For details of the validity period of different English language tests, please refer to full details on the University of Exeter’s admission website.  

Can I practice Law in the UK or Hong Kong after completing the Law program? 

The Juris Doctor degree forms the academic stage of qualification for students who wish to practice Law in the UK. It covers all of the foundation subjects required by the UK’s Solicitors Regulation Authority). In order to practice in the UK, students then need to undertake either the LPC (Legal Practice Course) or BPTC (Bar Professional Training Course). For students wishing to practice in Hong Kong, the JD also provides the majority of the academic phase of study, but they would need to complete additional law courses after completing the University of Exeter law degrees. Students can have access to these modules in Hong Kong through attending preparatory courses for PCLL Admission Conversion Exams provided by HKU SPACE and IP Learning. Graduates will also need to seek admission to PCLL in Hong Kong to complete the academic phase required for practicing law in Hong Kong. For more details regarding practicing law in Hong Kong, please refer to the official website of Hong Kong’s Standing Committee on Legal Education and Training.


If your questions cannot be answered by our FAQ, please contact us at the following:

Address: Office of the Dean of Engineering (Room 6542, Lift 27/28)
Service Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00am - 12:45pm & 2:00pm - 5:33pm 

Tel: +852 2358 6960

UG – Joint University Program